Thursday, February 12, 2015

COPING with surgery- Our CHD Journey

Throughout our whole CHD experience I had to find ways to make it 'ok.' I had to keep my mind busy. I'm kinda a control freak- I said it- never out loud before but I have now. So, this was a very good life lesson in not always bring able to control your life and about finding ways to be ok with that. I cried.. A lot. Sometimes- in the beginning wondered why us? Did I do something wrong during pregnancy? But quickly realized that thought process need to end. It wasn't healthy for me and if I wasn't healthy I couldn't help others through this. It wasn't happening to just me it was happening to my family, my husband, my parents, and relatives. Most of all my Peanut.

First, how do I tell my friends and family everything? How do I communicate without having to tell the same story 100 time?! FACEBOOK! I created a page, a private place of people who wanted to hear about Olivia. I needed a cool name, though. Olivia is my Peanut and that is when the Peanut Squad was born!



I did many, many things to try to make it better. After talking with the Dr. I knew one of the first things I needed to do- volunteer at the hospital. I needed to see it, be there, be part of their family and above all give back to them. I needed a way, a thoughtful way to thank this place for taking care of my child. This is where her life would change and these people were going to help. How could I not thank them?


Next, worried whether or not we could stay at the hospital, IF we needed the Ronald McDonald House, I had to have a way to thank them, I had to give to them. And that was when the love of pop tabs blossomed. We hope to become, The Peanut Squad, a member of the 1,000,000 pop tab club!


Another thing I did, was create Peanut Squad shirts and invited people to purchase them with proceeds benefiting Advocate Lutheran General and other heart organizations. I created the logo and with help from graphic designer friends, our logo was created. Unexpectedly we sold, I think, in the 170s! Along with the shirt, they also received a handmade candle painted by Olivia, a thank you picture and soy candle donated by The Lazy Ballerina. It was quite an undertaking to get all those packages together. So fun and I got to see all the support I had! I bought some for all the doctors and nurse and Dr. Nueberger wore his on his first check up with us in the hospital. Such am amazing Dr.


Buuuuuuut WAIT there's more! 
Check back to find other (I think) AWESOME ways to help you and your child through times like this!

***ADDED***

No comments:

Post a Comment