Sunday, November 23, 2014

DIY Light up stuffed animal less than $5

Every year we do a Lighting of the Lights party. It occurs on the day Chicago lights up Michigan avenue. With two little kids the idea of heading out to see the lights light up is very, very scary. So... that is how this party was born. We typically invite a few close family and friends to share in the festivities. It's pretty lax, apps, drinks and convo. But fun. The catch is you must bring a light up element. We've had some pretty cool things! Things we've done...
I lit up my daughter one year! I sewed some pockets in a dress and put in light sticks!

Chad, one year, bought a "Starry Night" photo and inserted lights in the stars!

When Snuggies were awful but in, I bought 2 from 5 Below and hot glued lights in and glued them together. Fire Hazard, I'm sure but fun none the less. It's really warm and I must admit (hanging my head down) I still wear it when I am cold. 

But this year the Liv wanted to make something on her own. Oh jeez, gotta think of something fr her too now. But Dollar Tree to the rescue!
I picked up a animal washcloth and a push light. I had the fluff and velcro- well, my last minute "I can't find my velcro what can I cut up version" of Velcro. You'll find with me, I am a re-user, recycler, upcycler and a just find a way to get in done gal! So, anywho, I cut up an old item with velcro- think weird velcro, buuut this is just for fun, you could fix it any way you wanted...

1. So we added a ton of fluff to the head first. Then we added fluff to the body, but we pushed it flat to the bottom of the animal. 
2. After that, we added the light and then fluff on top of that.
(You can adjust the fluff so that you can't feel the light.)
3. Then, I glued half of the bottom closed with the glue gun. I left the other half of the bottom open. Ugly, but had it been for something more 'serious' and not just for fun, I would have taken the time to sew and use real velcro! ;)
4. We added the velcro. This makes it so I can replace the batteries on your light. 

Tap the tummy and, wahla...it's a $2 light up stuffed animal. 
Something fun for the kids to do, pretty much, on their own.
Lit up and....
not!

Enjoy my friends! Your kids will love it!
Kelly xxoo



2 comments:

  1. They were really adorable Kelly. So soft and plush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls still played with them today! I'm pretty happy with the cheap toy! Thanks Karen :)

      Delete